Start date for this position will be February 2020 in preparation of opening of McNew Family Medical Center and the Inpatient Adult Psychiatric Unit
To provide therapeutic modalities and comprehensive services and supports for the promotion of optimal mental health and quality of life. This includes the assessment, interpreting, planning, evaluating, and determining appropriate skill based interventions. The occupational therapist works collaboratively with others on site medical and mental health providers as well as with community agencies and other primary care providers. The occupational therapist will provide assessment of cognitive level and safety upon discharge.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Works collaboratively with a physician/provider and team to provide comprehensive mental health services to patients.
- Conducts therapeutic assessment including cognitive level, safety assessment and interprets evaluations & test results to determine occupational therapy modalities.
- Conducts effective groups/programs involving manual arts & crafts, practice in functional, sensorimotor, educational, recreational, and social activities.
- Develops and implements individualized treatment plans based on clinical experience and knowledge.
- Adheres to standards of the profession as well as mental health and state and regulatory agencies.
- Maintains a compassionate approach to meeting patient needs, involving the family in the plan of care as appropriate.
- Maintains confidentiality and patient privacy.
- Documents care provided; meets standards for chart reviews; Submits billing for services as needed.
- Addresses patient concerns and completes tasks.
- Seeks consultations as appropriate, act as a consultant as reque
- Bachelor of Science degree in Occupational Therapy.
- Two years’ experience as an occupational therapist with at least 1 year as a psychiatric occupational therapist
- Current license to practice Occupational Therapy by the Maryland Board of Occupational Therapy Practice.
- Current American Heart Association Healthcare provider BLS Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens and patients who are agitated.
Physical Demands – Heavy work. Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.