Contributes to the provision of high quality, cost effective health care through direct care of patients and collaboration with other health team members.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Participates in patient care data collection and unit-specific treatments as directed by staff nurse and in accordance with established standards, policies, and procedures, to include placing IVs and phlebotomy.
- Performs other functions as delegated by assigned nurse/charge nurse or Clinical Director to include venipuncture, IV insertion and specimen collection.
- Reports abnormal observations to assigned RN/charge nurse.
- Processes written medical staff orders in accordance with established policy and procedure.
- Labels blood tubes/lab specimen correctly 100%; communicates STAT or urgent orders to the care provider.
- Documents all care and treatment provided to patients, IV placement, attempts, size, and patients’ tolerance via computerized documentation.
- Transports patients and belonging per AAMC policies and procedures
- Maintains adequate levels of supplies and equipment as defined by the unit, department, or initiative.
- Maintains unit specific metrics and reports for data collection.
- Be knowledgeable and keep up to date on National IV Therapy Standards as well as unit based standards and workflow
- HS Diploma/equivalent
- Must have at least 2 years of acute care experience, Required to have IV insertion and phlebotomy skills
- Certi?ed Nursing Assistant through Maryland Board of Nursing
- American Heart Association for Healthcare Providers BLS.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands –
Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.