Position Objective: Operates the Medical Center's communications center and maintains a smooth flow of internal and external communications and traffic. Insures the delivery of effective and responsive telecommunications services to all facilities of Anne Arundel Health System, patients, physicians, and the community. Telecommunications services incorporates telephone services, paging services, Answering Services applications, voice mail applications, monitoring of emergency alarm systems, and foreign language assistance.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Operates CRT terminal and keyboard in the telephone message center, giving undivided attention to all callers. Utilizes all features within the telephone system to enhance communication. (Call park) Inputs essential demographic information taken from caller or by fax to software; enters information into the transfer queue using appropriate abbreviations.
- Answers local, long distance, patient inquiry, and interdepartmental calls within three rings. Prioritizes calls, takes messages or pages as appropriate; relays calls by making telephone connections; records information; transmits information to clients and staff as needed.
- Responsible for maintaining up to date operational knowledge and executing alerts as requested by clinical and administrative staff utilizing the Live Process mass notification system. Notification groups include all Text blast staffing requests from nursing staff, STROKE and STEMI teams alerts, Mass Casualty, Active shooter, Infant abduction plus others.
- Provides routine information to the public in a helpful and courteous manner. Utilizes Epic computer system for patient information on a limited basis, as prescribed.
- Maintains confidentiality on all matters relating to Medical Center personnel, physicians, and patients according to AAMC policy.
- Routinely searches for undelivered messages, notifying answering service clients who may not have received them in a timely manner.
- Receives verbal and or written notification to send out Text Blast for all departments via Live Process
- Receives Ethics Consults via printer and relays it to the on-call person
- Forwarding/Un-forwarding telephone lines when appropriate
- Posting and ensuring the accuracy of daily “On-Call” schedules to answering service accounts.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills and familiarity with keyboard and computer
- Must type 35 wpm
- Must display maturity and diplomacy
- Ability to work in close quarters for extended periods of time; posture facing the terminal.
- Availability to rotate the day/evening shift and days as scheduled including weekends and holiday is required
- Previous Infinity System knowledge/experience a plus.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is reasonable expectation that employees in this position will not be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands –
Light work. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for light work.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.