Director – Surgical Research – Regular Full Time
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posted Date: February 13, 2018
Grant Funded position
The Anne Arundel Medical Centers Department of Surgery is seeking exceptional candidates for the position of Director, Surgical Research. The Department of Surgery supports advanced surgical research in various areas including but not limited to medical human factors (kinematics and cognitive ergonomics), surgical education, epidemiologic, and clinical outcomes research. This position will be responsible for managing the Department of Surgical Research in collaboration with a number of individuals and groups at AAMC (e.g. Clinical Research Director, Manager of Simulation, and the Research Institute) as well as with academic and industry partners.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Develops and executes research initiatives of the Department of Surgery, including but not limited to: intraoperative surgical ergonomics and kinematics, process flow mapping, and product usability/HF evaluation.
- Fosters cross-disciplinary research at multiple levels, from various surgical subspecialties, to other clinical domains for comparative research, and at stages from basic through translational. Specific areas of interest include but are not limited to the following: Clinical outcomes; Human Factors; Ergonomics; Epidemiology; Surgical Education; and translational research.
- Secures grant funding for continuing research efforts in partnership with clinical research program managers and the AAHS Research Institute.
- Manages the human factors and ergonomics lab within the SAIL Center (Simulation to Advance Innovation and Learning) in collaboration with SAIL leadership.
- Develop academic pursuits of their own that align with organizational needs and goals
- Maintain liaisons with leading medical and scientific directors, private organizations, and professional societies and with leading researchers and clinicians in research in relevant fields.
- Liaisons with various industry groups as a participant, panelist and/or spokesperson as may be required periodically.
- Provides direct management of Department of Surgical Research employees, including clinical research program managers, clinical research coordinators, research assistants, research fellows and interns.
PhD with specialization in human factors; ergonomics; kinesiology; clinical outcomes; epidemiology; biostatistics or a related field.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands: Light Work
There is reasonable expectation that employees in this position will not be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.