Mental Health Patient Care Technician
Job code: 20000 10016 001793
Reports to: Cindy Radovic (20003 10035 001309)
Contributes to the provision of high-quality, cost-effective health care through the direct care of patients in collaboration with other members of the health care team. Understands self-motivation in performing basic nursing care. Participates in the team nursing concept, completing tasks as delegated by the assigned nurse.
May be trained to insert IV’s on certain shifts/units. Validation of training and skill will be documented, upon successful completion.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Assists with intake/admissions for mental health patients arriving to ED or transferring from other areas of ED in supporting the patient, communicating expectations and assisting with safety check in.
- Provides direct care to patients with special attention to personal hygiene in the morning and bedtime care. Initiates and maintains all types of safety measures.
- Maintains a supportive presence in the common area of the EDMH and assists team with early identification and intervention in potential escalating events. Recognizes and reports pain, patient complaint or obvious change in patient condition, including mental status to assigned nurse.
- Prioritizes discharge of patients by assisting with dressing in clothes, gathering belongings and transport if necessary to lobby.
- Participates in patient care, vital signs, intake and output and other data collection and records according to policy and procedure; obtains specimens as requested using approved procedure. Assists patients with mobilization and/or positioning as ordered by physician or unit protocol.
- Participates in the orientation of new staff acting as mentor as needed and requested.
- Transports medications, as necessary during the usual course of transporting patients within the institution, in keeping with policy and procedure regarding medication security. Ensures that medication is delivered to persons authorized to handle medication according to AAMC policy.
- Maintains adequate levels of supplies and equipment on the unit.
- Transports patients in accordance with established safety policies.
- Processes written medical staff orders in accordance with established policy and procedure; communicating STAT or urgent orders to the care provider.
- High School Diploma or GED
- One year of experience as a CNA in acute care setting preferred.
- Experience in acute psychiatric environment, either ED or inpatient psychiatric unit preferred
- If serving as a bilingual/multilingual interpreter, certification in Medical Interpretation is required to perform the duties of a qualified interpreter
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- American Heart Association HealthCare Provider BLS
- Crisis Prevention Intervention(CPI) within 30 days of hire
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens as well as patients who are agitated.
Physical Demands – Heavy Work. Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.