Provides expert direct care to patients, families and family systems, provides teaching, evaluation, assessment and counseling to patients and families as needed. Responsible for serving as liasion with administrative/psychiatric staff, managing schedules for mental health consultants and participating in interviews and annual staff evaluations.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Performs mental health assessments and provides thorough documentation.
- Develops treatment plans consistent with best practices and assists in providing referral to most appropriate level of care. Assists in securing inpatient psychiatric treatment and insurance authorizations as needed.
- Demonstrates the ability to enhance skills and performance of others in order to achieve professional and organizational goals. This competency is demonstrated by systematically providing clear objectives, performance-specific feedback, effective coaching and developmental experience /opportunities.
- Manages scheduling for ED Mental Health Consultants. Participates in interviews for new clinicians and sets appropriate expectations for performance. Educates and precepts new staff.
- Participates in goal setting and prioritization through collaborative approach with team members, nurses, physicians, supervisor, director, manager. Functions as an expert clinical resource to clinician, nursing and medical staff; coordinates patient care with all disciplines for hospitalized and ED patients in need of psychiatric assessment and/or placement.
- Works collaboratively with the multidisciplinary team to effect continuous improvement in the delivery of patient/family centered care.
- Assumes consistent leadership in the evaluation of patient care recommendations for cost-containment, clinical practice and improvements in quality of care.
- Promotes organizational improvement activities related to patient care delivery services.
- Collaborates with management staff to maintain compliance with local, state, federal and Joint Commission requirements.
- Accepts and discharges additional responsibilities as needed and required to meet service line and organizational objectives.
- Three years of clinical experience with demonstrated clinical diagnostic competency.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will not be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands –
Light work – Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for light work.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.