Under the supervision of the Registered Nurse, participates as a member of the multidisciplinary surgical team to assist with operating room set-up and turn-over to enable efficient use of operating room scheduling time in accordance with the Standards of Care at AAMC.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Identifies and pulls specific equipment/instruments according to physician preference cards and have readily available for the surgical procedure. Pulls sutures according to physician's preference cards for the next day's surgical procedures.
- Prepares operating rooms for use: damp mops and dust all horizontal surfaces before the first case of the day, anticipates and provides needed equipment for surgical cases, i.e. positioning devices, light sources, towers, tanks, fluids, etc. Will assist EVS with room turn-over to maintain targeted room turnover between surgical cases.
- Will restock OR inventory according to PAR levels on a daily basis. Assist with opening sterile supplies onto the back table for room readiness. Anticipates need for reprocessing of instruments and ensures items are ready when needed for Surgical procedure. Transports contaminated instruments to Central Sterile.
- Assist surgical team in positioning the surgical patient and holding limbs for preps.
- Assist with transport of surgical patient to the OR and to PACU; understands the importance of surgical specimens and transports specimens to the lab when required. Retrieves blood for transfusions from the lab under the direction of the RN.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Preferred Experience: One year previous experience as a surgical patient care technician.
American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands –
Very heavy work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.