Promotes the delivery of high-quality, cost-effective health care through the provision of expert clinical education and supervision. Collaborates with the leadership team in the planning and implementation of organizational and departmental goals. Creates a climate of innovation through role modeling, consultation, research, and facilitation of learning in collaboration with the clinical education team, unit specific leadership, and department staff. Also partners with the Intensivists, the Cardio-thoracic surgical team and clinical staff from multiple departments.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Collaborates with the Clinical Directors and Unit Leadership in the area of specialty to achieve departmental and organizational goals.
- Assess daily clinical care being delivered to open heart patient population in CVICU and HVU. Participates in the development and implementation of evidence-based care measures in order to improve the efficacy of patient management and outcomes for the CV surgical patient.
- Supervises and assists with HR personnel management, including but not limited to nursing staffing and scheduling, orientation and staff development, staff selection, performance evaluations, and disciplinary actions.
- Assists unit leadership in managing daily clinical and operational processes and holding staff accountable to standard work.
- Coordinates, facilitates, and evaluates the orientation and Unit competency processes for nursing staff with other members of the ICU and HVU leadership and education teams.
- Leads clinical practice for unit-based assessment, planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of educational programs and quality improvement initiatives that enhance the performance or professional development of the nursing staff
- Coordinates patient care and clinician education between CVICU and Heart Vascular Unit including responding to Rapid Response Team alerts in either unit.
- Attends on-going educational opportunities that support best-practice initiatives and provides summary presentations to applicable groups within the organization.
- Demonstrates expert clinical knowledge and skill in the CV surgical population. Serves as an expert clinician, acting as a clinical resource for the nursing staff, supporting the collection of pertinent databases/registries that track patient outcomes, and enhancing processes to improve the efficacy of patient management.
- Collaborates with Risk Management, Quality and Safety in the investigations and the determination of appropriateness of patient care within the organization.
- Minimum education level – BSN required, Master’s Degree preferred
- Master`s Degree in Nursing preferred.
- Minimum of five years recent experience as a Registered Nurse in Cardiovascular Intensive Care
- Demonstrated experience in nursing staff development or nursing leadership with knowledge of nursing staff development theory or principles of adult education required.
- Outside applicants seeking a position must be able to demonstrate that they have met the required criteria at previous employment.
- Skilled in problem solving techniques, conflict resolution and team building development, and capable of providing feedback to team members appropriately.
- Specialty Certification preferred (e.g., CMC, CCRN, CNL, CSC, Cardiac-Vascular Nursing RN-BC) or certification obtained within 6 months of hire
- American Heart Association HealthCare Provider BLS
- Current licensure as a registered nurse by the Maryland Board of Nursing
- Current ACLS Certification required
- Adherence to credentialing requirements of AAMC as stated in the nursing bylaws.
- IABP experience preferred with competency validated within 6 months of hire
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens, as well as exposure to hazardous or poisonous materials.
Physical Demands -Medium
The physical requirements of this position are: medium work – exerting up to 50lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to 25lbs. of force frequently.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.