Contributes to the provision of high-quality, cost effective health care through direct care of patients and collaboration with other health care team members, with emphasis on room preparedness and turnover to start first cases and in between procedures. Orders supplies, maintains PAR levels, responsible for the coordination of evaluation, maintenance, communication and repair of departmental equipment.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Provides direct patient care for perioperative patients and families in a developmentally, culturally and ethically appropriate manner.
- Reviews schedule regularly to identify, plan and provide for special needs, i.e. lines set-ups, difficult intubations, bronchoscopy cart, jet ventilation, camera or retractor holder.
- Provide direct patient care while assisting anesthesia staff with line insertion, spinal and epidural anesthesia. Documents line insertion and epidural placement in Meditech.
- Assists Anesthesia staff as needed by attaching monitoring devices, assisting with intubation and positioning of patients and other necessary functions connected with the induction of the patient.
- Oversees and coordinates maintenance and troubleshooting of Pyxis, anesthesia, and surgical equipment.
- Transports patients and specialty equipment as needed, in accordance with established safety policies.
- Assists physicians and nurse with equipment during procedures as needed.
- Coordinates product and equipment evaluations
- Participates in unit based quality improvement activities and CPI teams.
- Participates in unit shared governance according to departmental standards.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Previous anesthesia technician, emergency medical technician or paramedic experience.
- Strong verbal communication skills with some customer service experience.
- American Heart Association Health Care Provider BLS certification
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands –
Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.