Supervises the Central Sterile Services technical staff, to include OR case cart assembly and distribution, prep and pack and decontamination procedures, in accordance with the Medical Center’s standards, policies and procedures, and in compliance with applicable voluntary and regulatory standards such as The Joint Commission, AAMI, AORN, CDC, SGNA.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Supervises the CS technical staff to include: orientation, training, coaching, disciplinary action, performance reviews and developmental goals.
- Directs the daily activities of the department to include scheduling, and work assignments.
- Provides continuing education for staff including routine training and updates related to new equipment, processes, procedures or changes in service. Maintains educational and in-service records to assist with re-certification requirements.
- Performs quality assurance and improvement functions; reviews production/sterilization documentation and collects data to monitor department effectiveness; collaborates with manager on process improvement initiatives and problem resolution.
- Monitors the case cart assembly process to ensure accurate pulling of supplies and instrumentation per surgeon specific “pick tickets” to include: timely assembly and delivery, accurate identification of surgeon and patient; accurate and timely processing of returns and filling of supply orders.
- Provides for effective utilization of human and material resources; projects staffing based on volumes to meet departmental needs while remaining fiscally responsible.
- Assists in the development of departmental goals and objectives consistent with the organizations mission and vision. Assists with the development and implementation of new departmental standards, policies and procedures; reviews and updates on a periodic basis.
- Maintain adequate inventory of non-stock items to support daily operations of the CS department. Works in conjunction with Materials Management to resolve issues with disposable inventory to support OR cases; participates in physical inventories.
- Maintains payroll, continuing education and other employee records in accordance with Medical Center and departmental standards.
- Provides technical assistance to CS technical staff, Medical Center Staff, to include OR Team Leaders, for resolving instrument tray issues, health care facilities, and physicians’ offices in relation to decontamination and sterilization.
- Five years of experience in a sterile processing or surgical services environment
- One year of which included experience in a lead or supervisory position.
- Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) certification upon hire
- Certified Instrument Specialist (CIS) certification within 6 months of hire
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands –
Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.