As a member of the Anne Arundel Medical Center (AAMC) executive team, the vice president medical affairs identifies, develops, and implements strategic goals and objectives for the Medical Center and the Medical Staff to improve the quality and appropriateness of patient care. The position provides leadership and direction to the AAMC Medical Staff. Functions as the liaison and facilitator for all communications affecting the governing board, administration, medical staff, regulatory agencies and medical center staff. The CMO reports to the President AAMC and has a matrixed reporting relationship to the President, Luminis Health Clinical Enterprise.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Strategy: Participates in the formulation, development and achievement of AAMC goals and objectives aligned with Luminis Health Vision 2030. Oversees the development of medical staff goals and ensures alignment to the annual AOP.
Quality, Safety and Clinical Delivery: Ensures AAMC quality outcomes are nationally recognized for excellence. Creates a culture of continuous improvement. Supports the hospital and system efforts to report quality metrics to regulatory and governing bodies.
Performance Improvement: In coordination with the Luminis Health Chief Quality Officer, oversees AAMC Performance Improvement initiatives. Works with leaders of the Clinical Enterprise to develop new clinical programs and coordinate all clinical performance issues.
Scholarly Activity: Prioritizes continuous learning for all members of the Medical Staff and encourages scholarly activities and research. Oversees AAMC’s graduate Medical Education and other teaching programs; ensuring GME is well integrated with hospital operations for optimal learning and outcomes.
Health Equity, Diversity and Inclusion: Oversees the development of strategies to reduce disparities in care and outcome. Ensures Providers have the necessary competencies to work with a diverse population of patients and co-workers.
Talent Development: Mentors and guides physician leaders, fostering achievement of goals and objectives, high performance practices, collaboration, innovation and interdependence. Helps design and implement programs to develop the clinical and leadership skills of AAMC Medical Staff. Serves a faculty member for internal leadership development programs. Promotes and sustains an environment that encourages the recruitment and retention of highly qualified providers and employees.
Financial Stewardship: Participates in the development of the AAMC capital and operational budgets. Coordinates with physician leadership to ensure coordinated, systematic and focused financial requests.
Community: Represents the Medical Center at national, state, and local meetings, and conferences, conventions, in the area of Medical Affairs as required
Engagement: Develops and implements strategies to obtain physician engagement in AAMC programs, education forums, department meetings as well as monthly, quarterly and annual meetings.
Regulatory Compliance: Collaborates with the Medical Staff and its leadership to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements that governs hospitals.
Results: Oversees medical leadership reporting of monthly, quarterly and annual quality, population health, workforce, growth and financial results.
Other System Expectations: Performs other duties and projects as assigned by the President.
.Team, Change, Business Leadership (TCB)
The Chief Medical Officer serves as an exemplar of Luminis leadership, as outlined in the TCB framework.
- Demonstrates and encourages collaboration and teamwork to achieve goals.
- Communicates clearly and effectively with people inside and outside the system.
- Role models self-wellbeing; supports organization efforts to encourage employee and physician wellbeing.
- Seeks opportunities to be present and visible in the organization.
- Champions change throughout the hospital; anticipates the need for change and develops and supports strategies to obtain the desired outcomes.
- Has knowledge of the local, regional and national healthcare environment and advises on the appropriate strategies for AAMC.
- Demonstrates innovative and creative approaches to work.
- Establishes high expectations for continuous learning, performance improvement and sustainable growth
- Demonstrates good business judgment and strategic insight.
- Operates with a high level of urgency.
- Effectively uses data and analytics to drive decision making.
- Advances AAMC’s business interests while ensuring compliance with all laws and regulations.
- Eight (8) years of increasingly responsible hospital management experience required, with in depth knowledge of government regulations of health care regulations and physician practice management required.
- Must possess leadership traits with the ability to plan, direct, control and supervise all of the areas of direct responsibility. Must possess a strong desire to motivate staff to achieve results.
- Extensive experience and exposure to regulatory agencies governing health care delivery.
- Must have analytical and problem solving skills, as well as the ability to work and communicate effectively with all levels of management, both within and outside the areas of his/her responsibility.
Current Maryland Medical License
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will not be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands –Light work. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for light work
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.