The Forensic Nurse Examiner will provide specialized care utilizing medical forensic examinations for victims of sexual assault.
- Provide timely, non-judgmental, compassionate care to patients with a complaint of sexual assault utilizing the nursing process.
- Perform a complete medical forensic exam including but not limited to: obtaining a detailed history for the purpose of treatment/evidence collection, completing a detailed head-to-toe assessment looking for trauma.
- Complete documentation of the forensic record to include use of digital photography for identification/documentation of injuries.
- Provides evidence collection while maintaining chain of custody according to regulatory guidelines.
- Administer and/or oversee all medications per program protocol.
- Provides emotional and social support resources.
- Maintain expertise and current knowledge in performing medical forensic exams related to forensic science, trauma informed care, current legal laws and statues, any changing evidence collection procedures and emerging trends.
- Participate in professional development, community education and prevention efforts, staff meetings and educational opportunities.
- Maintain a professional, collaborative working relationship with multidisciplinary team to include, but not limited to: law enforcement, state’s attorney, crime lab.
- Provides fact/expert witness testimony as required
BSN Graduate of an accredited nursing program.
2 years of clinical experience as RN.
Ability to work autonomously with excellent communication and customer service skills. In addition, must also work well with multi-disciplinary team and peers.
Rotating on call shifts including days, nights, weekends and holidays
Current RN License in state of MD or compact state
Current FNE-A (designates FNE – Adult, certification) and/or International Association of Forensic Nurses SANE-A certification, obtained within one year.
Current BLS, TNCC preferred
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands –
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.