The Community Health Worker (CHW) position is responsible for acting as a bridge between health care providers, community services providers, and individuals in the community to promote health, reduce disparities, and improve service delivery. The Community Health Worker is a trained and trusted public health worker who is respected by the people they serve and applies his/her unique understanding of the experience, socio-economic needs, language and/or culture of the communities served. CHWs identify barriers to health and advocate for changing service delivery and other strategies to improve community health.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Refers and links patients to a medical home for preventive health care, provides age appropriate screenings, self-management education, and chronic conditions social service support.
- Links patients to community resources to meet basic needs that influence health (i.e. housing, food, job placement, legal representation, education)
- Work with the care team to conduct outreach and enroll patients identified via primary care practices for evidence based programs and self-management.
- Assist patients navigating the health system, by connecting people needing services, filling out paperwork, and providing non-directive emotional support.
- Improve quality of care by aiding communication between provider and patient to clarify cultural practices and to promote wellness by providing culturally appropriate health information to clients and providers.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- One (1) year or more of experience preferred
- Must be self-directed and have strong verbal and oral communication skills
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands – Heavy Duty
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.