This position will serve as a primary counselor for up to eight Pathways inpatients at a time providing counseling, case management, collaborative treatment planning and discharge planning to adults and adolescents with primary substance abuse and co-occurring mental health disorders. This individual must have a clear understanding of mental health and substance use disorders throughout the age continuum. Pathways provides multiple levels of care; every staff member has a role in our patients’ success. Staff may be asked to work in other areas of treatment or administration as needed.
Essential Job Duties:
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Performs duties according to established standards for age groups adolescence through geriatric. Able to assess data reflective of the patient’s status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’s requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs.
- Conducts patient and family interviews and provides referrals to appropriate level of care and to community resources. Demonstrates knowledge of ASAM and DSM V criteria relative to the assessment of patient needs throughout the course of treatment.
- Provides case management for assigned clients and maintains competency to evaluate and care for these patients following best practices. Maintains accurate and complete chart documentation regarding patient motivation and progress in treatment plans and progress notes according to Joint Commission, COMAR and Pathways’ requirements.
- Collaborates with other Pathways Counselors to manage emergent and complex patient issues. This may involve temporary cross-coverage of patients assigned to other counselors.
- Facilitate two didactic, focus, or therapeutic groups per week and may be responsible for group coverage due to vacancy or absence.
- Conducts discharge planning, counsels patients and their families to support continuity of care/aftercare services from other treatment providers and other community groups.
- Determine patient strengths through counseling and assessment; integrate patient’s expressed goals into treatment planning including achievable steps with specified target dates and recognizing progress.
- Establish therapeutic alliance and maintain effective working relationships with patients; work collaborative with patient and multi-disciplinary teams to provide care to each patient based on their unique needs, strengths, values and preferences.
- Participates in required training for integrating treatment of co-occurring disorders.
- Master`s degree in behavioral health.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Two years’ work experience in the area of behavioral health care to include group or individual counseling.
- Familiarity with, and agreement to adhere to, established core competencies, global criteria and ethical standards for Substance Abuse Counseling.
- CAC-AD or licensure from the Maryland Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists OR the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners required.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through the American Heart Association, within 30 days of hire
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands –
Light work. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for light work.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.