The objective of this position is to assemble, and sterilize all instruments, instrument trays, utensils and linen packs. Perform distribution functions as it relates to case carts and sterile instrumentation.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Uses established departmental and regulatory standards, principles and procedures for aseptic technique. Processes and assembles instrument trays, respiratory/anesthesia equipment, linen and utensils accurately and in a timely manner.
- Uses established schedule to operate steam and plasma sterilizer. In addition, loads, unloads and moves sterilizer carts. Runs, verifies and records necessary tests on all steamed and plasma equipment used in the department. Ensures that Bowie-Dick removal test is run on prevacuum steam sterilizer each morning and after repairs. Reports all malfunctions to biomedical department, department supervisor, and the O.R. supervisor.
- Coordinates sterile processing and distribution workload independently to accommodate Surgical Services, meet deadlines, maximize productivity and ensure that work is accurate and complete by the end of each workday.
- Maintains established levels of supplies and equipment on O.R. and sterile processing supply carts ensuring proper labeling and packaging 100% accuracy. Checks supply carts for outdated supplies and equipment every thirty days. Organizes and coordinates items according to O.R. schedule. Documents product shortage and report to supervisor and O.R. staff as soon as shortage is detected.
- Oversees distribution of various operating room supplies including consignment inventory. Process all issues and credits related to the O.R. case carts with 100% accuracy, ensures that all documentation is complete by the end of the shift, maintains files according to department policy and procedures thus ensuring all information is easily retrievable. Process loaner equipment internally and externally according to established department policy and procedures.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- One year of experience as a sterile processing technician, (post course completion).
- Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) certification upon hire.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands –
Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.